Friday, July 18, 2008

OSIM Singapore Triathlon 2008

The OSIM Singapore Triathlon was supposed to be one of my two focus races for the year but having not really overcome my lack of motivation this year, together with a bout of pneumonia again, I turned up at the race terribly under-prepared and a long way off race ready - including far too many extra kilos.

Either way I thought I'd do my best and enjoy the day. I was well prepared in terms of getting organised and the race gear ready. Body was flushed out in plenty of time (taking a fibre drink 24 hours before the race and 4 sit-downs works a treat).


My wave start wasn't until 10:40 so it was going to be hot for sure. I did a good swim warm up and then toed the start line. The gun went and I was first or second into the water. At this point I usually get swum over the top by the faster swimmers and then have to fight and struggle to the first mark; amazingly I reached the first mark in second place - Blimey!

The swim was very choppy but no great problem, I exited the sea and dived back in for the second lap - that's where it probably went wrong, I undoubtedly lost concentration and didn't have a great second lap. I came out of the water feeling OK and headed on the long run to transition.

New bike, new aero helmet and sexy new Zipp Sub9 disc wheel - I was going to look good if nothing else. As it turned out I rode within myself and managed the second fastest bike split of all the age-groupers and sub 1 hour for the 40k not including the transitions - I've got to be happy with that!

Then on to the run and this is where the extra kilo's came to visit with a vengeance, there's just nowhere to hide. I managed a credible 43 minutes but this was 1:40 down on my previous best time but all in all I couldn't complain.










I finished third in my category and 6th age-grouper overall. The only upsetting bit was that they'd screwed up the timing (my age-group had two waves) and they'd not included me in the top three - they actually made me fill out a protest form and pay S$50 to get my time verified - why they couldn't just look at my time I've no idea. Anyway, my "protest" was successful and I didn't have to pay the S$50 and I got my prize which was a crap plastic vase and a rather nice set of high end sports specific OSIM weighing scales - I was very happy with that.

Sadly by the time time the prize-giving was sorted out Shilpa was exhausted looking after a very tired Sid and Seb. The little fellas had fallen asleep on her lap - poor things.

We managed to go and visit the Singapore Flyer while we were there (same as the London Eye) - Sid was a bit apprehensive for a while but then got into the swing of things especially as there were Naval Displays and fighter jet displays all taking place in practise for Singapore's National Day. Not only that but there were more cranes in one place than Sid and Seb had ever seen before and they currently LOVE cranes.









A really great trip, we even caught up with an old friend, June whom I hadn't seen for years (Sid and Seb loved her instantly). Also we saw Greg Lyons at the finish and hopefully we have persuaded him to do PD this weekend. We managed a quick lunchtime visit to Brewerkz (one of my favourite venues). To top it all the boys slept almost all the way home - RESULT!

PS. If anyone from the race organising committee is reading this then some feedback for you: -

The best thing ever about this race was the prize-giving held at a night club type of venue with free flow beer and wine. After a great race it was one hell of a way to celebrate and made it the best race in Asia (despite the high price).

You then moved to a boring dinner prize-giving format with limited free flow - OK still fun but then it was just one of many races.


Now you have made the prize-giving just a quick mention on the stage, rushed results (which were wrong this year until you made me protest - I wonder how many other athletes lost out) - you have turned the highlight of the race into the low point - what a disaster! - I used to enter the OSIM Singapore Triathlon with excitement and anticipation knowing that it would conclude on a high (regardless of whether I won anything). I used to take Monday's off work so I wouldn't miss it, organise family holidays around the dates - NOT ANYMORE - I'LL GO IF IT SUITS ME BUT THAT'S IT - what a disappointment you took an iconic race and downgraded it to just another (albeit very expensive) race on an already packed racing calendar!

Thought I'd throw in a raunchy picture of the boys for all the two year old girls that view this blog.

[DISCLAIMER: - Please note that I had nothing to do with the hair cuts - Mummy can explain!]

No comments: