Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Catching up, Ottawa & Gatineau Park

(Photos and ride write up courtesy of Lindy)

Simon says: -

This post comes after my Ironman Lake Placid adventure, partly because it was already written by Lindy and secondly because I'm struggling to catch up with everything that has gone on, not only since we left Malaysia for the USA but quite honestly since I completed Ironman Korea just a few weeks ago.

Just a quick update for you. We arrived in New York, a 33 hour journey door to door. We were tired but happy. We spent a few days in New York with Shilpa's cousin Niku, his wife Shweta and their daughter Annya. They were fabulous hosts and we had a wonderful time. While there we took the Staten Island Ferry to show the boys the statue of Liberty, went to see the Broadway show, The Lion King and rode copious times on the subway (much to the delight of the boys).

After a few days we drove to Lake Placid, by which time I had a fully fledged cold which moved to a fully fledged chest infection a couple of days before the race.

I shall do a full Ironman Lake Placid report in a day or so but suffice to say it was great fun, chest infection aside. Post race party was a hoot and then we drove to Ottawa for a party that our good friends Rueban (from Malaysia) and his wife Lindy had thrown in our honour (me, Bryan Payne and our respective families).

(The monster BBQ actually arrived the day of the party but too late to set up. It's a beauty though so I had to include these pictures that were taken subsequently).








The party was awesome, Bryan had to leave about midnight so I tapped him out again. He drank more than me again but just doesn't have the staying power. Rueban and I then moved on to the single malt whisky, NICE!

Bryan kindly took Shilpa and the boys home while Rueban, Lindy and I chatted away until the early hours of the morning (yes I do like the sound of my own voice too much sometimes. Although I have to say that it was very stimulating listening to their plans and ideas. It really got the entrepreneurial juices flowing). They very kindly dropped me back to the hotel at gone 4:30am. Huge hosts!!

Just a few hours later we were back together to go for what turned out to be one of the most wonderful rides of my life. Lindy has done a write-up of the ride under the pseudonym "Joy". She hits the nail on the head so I have copied her post below. And for the record, when Lindy takes the triathlon plunge she is going to be awesome - you heard it here first so be warned ladies.









Joy here...On Sunday, July 24th two of our friends - Simon and Bryan - competed in the Ironman Lake Placid Triathlon. Lake Placid is in New York State and is only a few hours' drive away from our home in Ottawa, so we planned a post-race party for them at our house, and invited all our friends.

That was Tuesday night.

It was awesome.

Simon ended up leaving our house at 4:30am.

Then on Wednesday, Simon, The Man (Rueban), and I all headed out to the park to do a loop. I mean, we figured that Simon is our very first friend from Malaysia to come to our Canadian stomping grounds, and we weren't going to let the opportunity to show off our regular ride circuit pass us up. I just hadn't necessarily planned on riding in the company of someone who has finished NINETEEN IRONMANS!!! Needless to say, he and the Man rode ahead of me, and were kind enough to wait at certain intervals.

The day was hot and clear, and the afternoon summer sun was high overhead. We were all tired after a late night with too much booze, but I have to admit that it was one of the most enjoyable loops that I've done in the park.


Pink Lake Lookout














Champlain Lookout

We rode up to the Pink Lake lookout and enjoyed the view (and took in some much needed hydration) before carrying on up to the Champlain lookout (more view and more hydration).










A happy triathlete out for a ride Ottawa-style!

Most importantly, Simon has said that our Wednesday afternoon ride was "one of the most amazing bike rides...one of best ever!" How awesome is that? How awesome is it that we can lure a friend from Malaysia who has done Ironman races all over the world - Ironman Korea, Ironman Langkawi, Ironman Kentucky, Ironman Lake Placid, Ironman China (just to name some of the ones he's completed) - and he was able to say that our regular Sunday morning ride in the local park is one of the best rides that he's ever done? It really doesn't get much better than that as an endorsement for home, sweet home, does it?

So while the three of us were enjoying the scenery, sweating out the excess booze, and getting energized to make up for the lack of sleep while out for a 3 hour bike ride, I was also building my confidence by realizing that I was able to ride with the guys and not make it a painful ride for them. Sure - Simon's post-Ironman, and jetlagged, and lacking sleep etc. etc., but he didn't complain about having to wait and wait and wait for the slow girl to catch up. That was a real boost to my confidence.

Such a boost to my confidence, in fact, that I'm starting to think that I should set my sights on triathlon. Who knows? Maybe I've got an Ironman in me too!

So I'm going to continue riding on Sundays with my "sisterhood" and enjoying the improvement with my cycling. And then maybe instead of setting my sights on a marathon, I should start thinking about a triathlon. Or maybe a marathon and THEN a triathlon. The sky's the limit!

Over and out,
Joy (a.k.a. Lindy)

13 comments:

Matty O said...

Great post man. We do have some amazing scenery up here. Which is one of the reasons I have issues leaving. That being said, come December or January you will see me complaining like a little girl again about how much this sucks haha.

Glad you had a great time with your friends up there. You must have had an amazing holiday in America and Canada!

Bryan said...

S, area for the ride looks beautiful. Wish I could have done it with you.

Simon said...

M, Yes for sure it is awesome but as you say the winter is the bummer, sadly for me it wouldn't make up for the crummy weather.

B, Yes it was great, never mind, we'll do the next one together in Germany and then after that in KL.

L A said...

Bryan - you are more than welcome to come and do that lovely ride with us. In fact, plan to come to Ottawa for the weekend of Sept. 16th with us (to celebrate my BDay) and we can use the GINORMOUS bbq and then take you on a ride in Gatineau Park. it will be awesome. There will be beer. Promise.

L A said...

Bryan - You must come and do that ride with us. Plan to come to Ottawa for the Sept. 16th weekend. It'll be my BDay and we can use the GINORMOUS bbq and then go for a ride in Gatineau park. It will be awesome. You won't want to miss it! :)

L A said...

Bryan - you must come and do that loop of the park with us. How about the Sept 16th weekend? It'll be my Bday and we'll use our new GINORMOUS bbq and then take you to the park. It will be awesome. Promise. (And there will be beer.)

L A said...

Bryan - we definitely must take you on a loop of the park. Plan for the Sept. 16th weekend; it'll be my bday, and we'll use our new, GINORMOUS bbq and then take you to Gatineau Park. It will be awesome. There will be beer.

L A said...

Bryan - we definitely must take you on a loop of the park. Plan for the Sept. 16th weekend; it'll be my bday, and we'll use our new, GINORMOUS bbq and then take you to Gatineau Park. It will be awesome. There will be beer.

L A said...

Bryan - we definitely must take you on a loop of the park. Plan for the Sept. 16th weekend; it'll be my bday, and we'll use our new, GINORMOUS bbq and then take you to Gatineau Park. It will be awesome. There will be beer.

L A said...

Bryan - we definitely must take you on a loop of the park. Plan for the Sept. 16th weekend; it'll be my bday, and we'll use our new, GINORMOUS bbq and then take you to Gatineau Park. It will be awesome. There will be beer.

Joy and Nomi said...

Bryan - we definitely must take you on a loop of the park. Plan for the Sept. 16th weekend; it'll be my bday, and we'll use our new, GINORMOUS bbq and then take you to Gatineau Park. It will be awesome. There will be beer.

L A said...

Bryan - we definitely must take you on a loop of the park. Plan for the Sept. 16th weekend; it'll be my bday, and we'll use our new, GINORMOUS bbq and then take you to Gatineau Park. It will be awesome. There will be beer.

L A said...

Bryan - we definitely must take you on a loop of the park. Plan for the Sept. 16th weekend; it'll be my bday, and we'll use our new, GINORMOUS bbq and then take you to Gatineau Park. It will be awesome. There will be beer.