Monday, December 17, 2007

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Angela Says: -

"Hi everybody,
did my first cross country race last week. 4 x 2km of very steep, VERY, VERY muddy, wet and cold course. Amazingly I really enjoyed it (at least once my left foot started to get some feeling back into it after the second circuit!!) I sank into mud up over my ankles and had great trouble keeping my running shoes on and staying on my feet - in fact the odd shoe was to be seen without its owner during the course of the race. I was covered in mud from head to foot and my white running socks will never be quite the same again.

It brought back happy memories of the bed race at Merrist Wood College all those years ago, though it was definitely colder and muddier yesterday (-2°).

Oh, I forgot to mention I came second in my age group (there were only seven women in total in the race compared to 63 men) and I didn't come last which amazed me more than anything and I am grateful to all those who finished after me for entering the race too.

Love Angie"

She later also added: -

Hi again,
here are one or two pics. I forgot to mention that Nico and Sven also ran the 750m race and improved their times by about half a minute compared to last time. (That's a lot over such a distance and considering the conditions).

The pictures show the finishing slope which is a lot steeper than it looks (especially after doing it four times) and a lot muddier too - though it was the only part of the course which wasn't actually covered with icy water"













"Simon says - Well done Angela, Nico and Sven, we are all very impressed and feel quite cold just looking at the photos - Weill as cold as you can be in 30 degrees of Malaysian heat!

1 comment:

Adrian said...

the photos bring back good memories of doing x-country runs in winter. cold fingers, ears, noses and running through frozen puddles and mud. great stuff. would make a nice change from the heat here once in a while!