Monday, February 04, 2008

5th New Bike Course for Langkawi Ironman

This is the ninth year of the race and the 5th bike course! Will they ever make up their minds? As usual the news is very late and one has to find out by regularly visiting the website and listening to the growing rumours. Guys an email won't go amiss!

At the end of the day it doesn't much matter to me, I'll come out the water and follow the procession of riders wherever that may lead. I'll try to keep my ego in check and eventually will finish the ride, extract myself from my previously beloved bicycle with a look of distain bordering on hatred - if it were a women, the divorce would be messy, full of recriminations and vows of never speaking again (of course by the time I have endured and finished the run I'll be begging for forgiveness and a lift home from my trusty steed).

As for the run this year, oh dear, I mashed my right foot by trying to train too soon after IM WA in December and it's never been the same since. My 42k run yesterday turned out to be a 13k shuffle follwed by an 8k hobble, a drive home and a bucket of ice. I can't walk this morning so a PB this year is out of the question but I am still determined to prevail - on one leg if need be!

For those that know Langkawi they will be aware that this new course is probably the toughest ever, going all the way to Datai along very steep and totally exposed (to the sun) roads. Riding a hilly course through Death Valley might be preferable! Oh well ay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think the bike route goes to Datai, though the writeup mentions 'KM13' that sounds like last year's. The true Datai road is hilly and steep as you say. I think they mean to go to Tg Rhu road this year, which is shady, flat and bumpy. The rest of the route is marked last weekend in spray paint. It does kinda suck when the route changes and you can't compare year-on-year though.

Keipo said...

Simon :

U can view u many pics in my album.

But u need to invite me as pmtey after u join multiply ,then u will able to view 4429 pics in this crazy langkawi ironman photo trip.

Congrate to u ...that is not easy in hot hot langkawi for ironman race.