Monday, February 04, 2008

Can or Cannot - there is no Cannot, only Will Not

At parties or get-togethers people often ask me about my triathlon's or what training I'm doing at the weekend and when they hear I'll be banging in a 4k swim, a 200+k ride or a 40k run their responses normally fall into one of three categories: -

1. Disbelief - many really do think I'm telling fibs
2. Awe and wonder
3. They think I'm a nutcase (in fact many of 1. and 2. probably think 3. as well)

Almost without exception they say they could never do that! I beg to differ, anyone can do it, they just have to want to and I accept and respect the fact that most people just don't want to.

But to all of you that Can, Will or Have; Cannot, Will Not or Don't want to, I urge you watch this video and be inspired. I posted a similar video some time ago (Click here to view) but these guys will put a tear in your eye and a lump in your throat and open your mind to the possibilities in life.

Triathlon is an analogy, what this video demonstrates is that pretty much anything is possible if you set your mind to it and do the work, the training or the studying whether your own personal Ironman is - getting a degree, getting the job you dreamed of, travelling the world, some sporting achievement, relocating to a new country, changing careers, getting over a disability, becoming parent... I've listed just a few challenges that people face, feel free to add your own personal challenge to Comments below.

Dick and Rick Hoyt epitomise the word CAN. Watch the video, stop making excuses and then in the words of Macy Gray "Get up, get up and do something..."

No comments: