Thursday, September 25, 2008

Armstrong to return with Astana

(Courtesy of the BBC)

Lance Armstrong will make his much-anticipated return to professional cycling with Kazakhstan's Astana team.

The Swiss-based team is run by Armstrong's friend and former sporting director Johan Bruyneel, who helped the American win all of his seven Tours.

The 37-year-old Armstrong will race in Australia in January but was cautious about aiming for an eighth Tour win.

"I will try to be as prepared as possible. I don't know that that equals victory," he said in New York.

"I have a fair bit of confidence, but not that kind of confidence. I don't know, honestly. I've been off the bike three years. I'll be nearly 38 years old, so I honestly don't know."

Armstrong also suggested he might be tempted to race in the 2010 season as well.

"I don't want to box myself in here," he said. "It's open-ended. I see one season but I wouldn't want to rule out a second season. I will take it season by season."

No comments: