Monday, November 24, 2008

Malaysia Boleh

(Article and picture courtesy of the Star online)

While the GB team continue to show their class in the Track World Cup in Melbourne I was so pleased to see the first ever gold medal for Malaysia - with all the nonsense that goes on with the governing bodies here it was a real delight to see this on Sofian's Site - great stuff - Malaysia Boleh!

KUALA LUMPUR: Youngster Azizul Hasni Awang made history when he won the main keirin final in the second-leg of the UCI Track World Cup in Melbourne last night to become the first-ever Malay?sian gold medallist at the World Cup stage.

Incredibly, it was the first time the 20-year-old was riding in the keirin event at the World Cup stage. That, however, did not stop Azizul from beating the likes of Andriy Vynokourov of Ukraine and Pervis Francois of France into second and third placings respectively.

“This win is for Malaysia as much as I wanted it for myself. I was looking for a medal finish in the Olympics but my lack of experience was my undoing in the final. But this tops it all, my first attempt in the keirin at the World Cup and I won it. I’m so happy,” said Azizul in a telephone interview from Melbourne.

No comments: