Monday, November 10, 2008

Powerman - 9th November 2008

(Photos courtesy of Tey)

The lead in to this race wasn't looking too good. I bonked (totally ran out of steam) last Saturday when I had planned to do a race simulation run/bike/run - I didn't mange the second run and felt totally depleted. Sunday's long run was delayed until I struggled through it on the Sunday night. The rest of the week I'd planned to taper but with various light sessions - I only managed one sorrowful spin class.

On the bright side, I skipped session after session because I knew I needed the rest - the old Simon would have done them regardless - I knew the fitness was in the bag but I needed recovery before race day.

On Saturday before the race I went for a 20k push on the bike followed by a 2k run. I felt good and recalled that I was feeling a damn sight more "race ready" than this time last year before Powerman.

I skipped dinner with the group and was asleep by 9:00pm and slept deeply, this is probably a first for me before a race. The alarm went off at 5:00am and I proceeded to drink 4 coffees and sort myself out. I got to the transition check-in about an hour or so before the start - racked my bike and went off for a solid 2k warm up run - experience has taught me that much much more is to be gained by doing a solid and complete warm up rather than trying to "save the legs or save energy".

Back at the start, I moved to somewhere near the front and "BANG", we were off. The first run is all about trying to run as fast as you can, stay in touch with your rivals but no going into a state of oxygen debt - a fine balance to say the least! By the time I was on the second 5.5k loop of the 11k run it was hurting and I was ready to get on my bike! I kept trying to send the pain away on little holidays, a technique I used to be good at but today it wasn't working and the pain stayed with me.




11k run 43mins - OK a bit slower than last year but in better shape for the bike this time.

A reasonably quick transition and off I went on Black Beauty (my Trek TTX) together with my two new weapons, Giro aero helmet and Zipp Sub9 Disc wheel. The new TTX, the helmet and the disc have been responsible for faster bike times this year when I've been less fit and heavier than previously, I swear by them! I'll take the free time any day.

The ride was fabulous, cadence averaged 100, this is lower than my usual but there has been some talk recently about a lower cadence resulting in a lower heart rate and the bigger gear allowing you to push more power - I find a high cadence helps my legs cope with the run off the bike but what do I know? This cadence seemed to work OK.














I caught Don, Cecil and most importantly Iwata-san on the first lap, this is always extremely important as they are all better runners than me so catching them before halfway always gives me a good time and psychological advantage.










I lost concentration for a couple of K's coming back on the second lap which must have cost me a few seconds but all in all it was a strong and focused ride. It was an out and back course so we all passed each other 4 times - I can't say that I noticed anyone other than Dave who was extremely vocal every time we crossed - I joked afterwards that he cost me time by breaking my concentration - in fact it was the opposite, encouragement always helps you push - THANKS DAVE.




64k bike 1:43 - pretty happy with that as it was 4 minutes faster than last year although the second lap was two minutes slower than the first which was a little disappointing.

Second transition was not too bad, last year I could barely walk and hobbled in, this time I could sort of run in.

On to the second run and I knew that it wasn't going to be the nightmare experienced last year, although I also knew that I'm a long way off my best when running off the bike. I saw Razani just a 20 metres in front of me but he slowly pulled away into the distance.

The first two K's were OK but tough, after that the running legs came back and I completed the first 5k loop of the 10k run reasonably strongly. Things started to go wrong thereafter though, it doesn't matter how much I know or have read about running tall and keeping your head up but my chin was sinking lower and lower into my chest - pretty much all I saw for the next four K's were my feet - I just tried to keep the cadence high and hang on but knowing Iwata was coming for me. It must have been a sad sight to behold.

I gratefully got to the last drinks station with about 1 K left and looked behind - the runner behind looked like Iwata - OH NO! after all this, he's got me. I turned the corner and looked back, he was taking a drink, it was then that the Dunkirk Spirit kicked in, if he's going to beat me then he'll have earn it.

My head came up, my legs stretched out and I was going to nail the last 1 K or die trying. My lungs were screaming but the pain was strangely rewarding. I ran past a western guy (I think it was Aaron) who was extremely encouraging which really blew me away - THANKS, I really appreciated it although all I manged was a very weak "Thanks mate, you too" or something like that.

I ran down the finishing shoot, alone, elated and ready to die. I found a little patch of grass and collapsed. The marshalls were awesome - they had ice towels over me in seconds, constantly poured ice water over my dangerously overheated body and in the end stuffed my tri suit with ice - AWESOME. Thanks to you all, you were so on the ball it was very reassuring.

10k run 50mins - this was 2 minutes faster than last year but I was targeting 48 or less so I was a little disappointed but then I know I need to work on the post bike run - A LOT.

Iwata strangely came in about 2 minutes after me so he either massively backed off over the last 1 K or else, more likely, I'd mistaken him for someone else and I was just sprinting from an imagined foe. Oh well, he looked in worse shape than me, he'd clearly given it his all - he's an amazing competitor and one that I don't often beat - I have huge respect for this guy.






It turned out that I beat both the guys (Iwata and Yong) that beat me last year but I still finished third again behind Razani (Malaysia's finest multi sport athlete) and Austrian Martin Malleier (who beat some of the pros) - good company to be in but I wonder how much improvement there is if I start training more consistently, take day to day nutrition more seriously and cut back on the late night boozing/dinner parties - it's always a thought but then one has to have a life and decisions have to be made. I'm sure with a bit more discipline and maturity I could find a middle road - Mmmmm - as always a work in progress.




Overall time 3:19 - 4 minutes faster than last year. Won RM700 (US$200) - can't complain.

Great event, well organised - great high tech T-shirt in goody bag, great finishers polo shirt as usual. Extremely switched on marshalls at the finish and the course was well policed.

The only criticism I can think of is that some 100Plus (energy drink) at the finish would have been nice - it's usually there and I spent the last 5 k dreaming about that ice cold elixir. Also only trophies for first place! - I'm only saying that because I keep coming second or third but it's not like they cost much.

Postscript: - "220 Triathlon" the British Triathlon magazine has spent the last year profiling an athlete who took a year off to focus on training properly - coaching, nutrition, physio, the whole works. His target race had to be abandoned due to injury so he refocused on Powerman Malaysia - his wife interviewed me after the prize-giving so who knows - I might get a mention - we'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Simon you did awesome you must be very proud of yourself!! Julie