Monday, November 24, 2008

The Marathon Woman

After the ride/run brick on Saturday I handed my house and children over to Ivie and Randy who had very kindly agreed to look after them while I abandoned Sid and Seb to go and support Shilpa for her first ever marathon in Bangkok.

My buddy Ashley was kind enough to collect me from the airport and we went to my in-laws house for some light refreshment and a bite to eat. Shilpa was in good spirits although a little nervous. Soon after, Ashley and I went out for a few beers and a bit of shopping to allow Shilpa to sleep - that's our story and we're sticking to it.

I arrived back with enough time to grab an hours sleep before we had to leave for the 2a.m. start - yes you read it right 2 o'clock in the morning - OUTRAGEOUS! In the meantime Shilpa had thrown up her lunch and dinner and it looked like food poisoning might put a damper on snatching Paula Radcliffe's world record. I suggested that it might be pre-race nerves, put it behind us and hope for the best.

We were at the start in plenty of time and soon enough 2a.m. came around and the gun went off. I tried to get some photos as she ran past but to no avail, so I ran along with her for the first two hundred metres - she had a big smile on her face and seemed more than ready to face the challenge ahead. I on the other hand grabbed a taxi and headed home for another couple of hours sleep.

The alarm went off all too soon at 5:30a.m. and I headed out with Marieke and Andrea, two of Shilpa good friends from KL (they're both really "go get it" Dutch ladies and great fun to be with) - they were doing their first 10k run which started at 6:45a.m.

We got to the start/finish area at about 6a.m. and waited for Shilpa to appear. She was hoping for a sub 5 hour race (an ambitious time for a first marathon) however, having trained with her I knew that if she kept her head together she could even break 4hr30min.





And then in the distance I saw a woman running with great ease and fluidity who looked a little like Shilpa - it was just past 4hr20min but this runner looked so at ease, there was no way this could be her - BUT IT WAS!


































She finished in an amazing 4hr23min54sec, she gave me a huge wave and smile as she cruised over the line. I gave her a big hug and then got a shock - she'd just run a marathon in the tropical humid heat of Bangkok and she was dry as a bone, she hadn't even broken into a sweat. Not only that but straight afterwards she did some stretching and began by touching the floor in front of her toes (straight legs mind you) - "It's all down to the yoga" she said, "No I didn't have any down points in the run - in fact I don't know what all the fuss is about, I found it quite easy".

This was painful to hear as there was no boasting, no bravado in her voice she meant it solely as a matter of fact!!! Imagine what potential she has? I was blown away and incredibly proud of her - although perhaps my sleep deprivation didn't allow me to express it as I might have done had the race been at a sensible time of day.

We then went to watch Marieke and Andrea finishing - they finished within about a minute of each other and were totally stoked by the whole experience - there may even have been a few tears!!! Wonderful - What a great day.










Later a lovely breakfast was followed by a relaxing Thai massage and then some more sleep for me while the girls went off for more shopping. Which brings me nicely to an anecdote - Marieke and Andrea were so enthused about the whole thing that they were soon planning their next race - Japan seemed to be the preferred option but various places in Europe were also suggested. Trying to be helpful I explained that there were many 10k races held in KL so there was really no need to travel - At which point I got a friendly hand on my shoulder and in a very kind voice (the sought of caring voice a mother might use to a little child who has just said something very silly and naive) "It's not about the running, IT'S ABOUT THE SHOPPING".

Before we knew it we were heading for the airport and home. Which leads nicely into the last adventure of the trip which I suspect few have experienced. As we started to descend to KLIA there was lots of turbulence and all of a sudden a huge BANG and flash from the right engine - we were sitting at the window just behind the wing, the engine and the flash were in full view - WE'D JUST BEEN HIT BY LIGHTENING!. Shilpa and I reacted slightly differently, I realised that the plane was still going forward and nothing too drastic seemed to have happened so I put it down to being "an interesting experience" and made a mental note to mention it in the blog. Shilpa on the other hand tried to get out of the plane! Not quite but let's just say we held hands very very tightly and I'm hoping the fingernail marks don't leave a scar.

Randy and Ivie were waiting for us when we got home and it sounded like they and the boys had had a great action packed weekend. We couldn't wait to see the boys; they'd obviously have missed us terribly - they woke us up this morning and Sid kindly and very diplomatically said "I missed you" but then went on to tell us what a great weekend they'd had with Randy and Ivie - Mmmmmm! Looks like we're disposable parents.

End Notes: Shilpa has expressed some slight tightness in her legs this morning - not pain just tightness - life isn't fair! that's all I can say!

Thanks again Randy and Ivie we really appreciated your help and the boys obviously took to you big time.

Well done Shilpa - (she finished 20th in her category, 596th overall out 1866 competitors) - you surprised everyone except me - you just made me so proud!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic result Shilpa - well done you power woman!!!
Love Angie

Anonymous said...

Shilpa nett time is 4:23:52

Congrate ya !!

Check results any race in Thai if use championchip.

http://www.championchip-thailand.com/raceresults.html

Tey

Anonymous said...

Well done to Shilpa! I think I might just add Yoga to my training ;-)

I understand that participants can choose the start time for the full marathon. Since Shilpa started at 2am, was wondering if the race course was well lighted and had good traffic / safety control? Also were there a good number of full marathoners for this race at such early hours to keep company for safety reasons? Was rather glad that the on-going street protest in the city did not have any impact on the race. Appreciate your insights.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

it is a great achievement! maybe she can be on podium for the next competition. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Hey Shilpa

Huge congrats from your English buddies...you did exactly the same time as my first marathon 10 years ago and I was chuffed to bits with that so you should be too no doubt. We are really proud of you and glad you have joined the nutty club of endurance athletes!!! talk soon, enjoy resting, LOL C C I K xxxx

Anonymous said...

Great stuff sis!
Very jealous your first marathon was in Bangkok. But even more jealous of your time, simply amazing !
-Kapil

Simon said...

Hi Cheong,
I did the race last year too and I can tell you that there is no safety issue, there are a couple of thousand participants at least so there are people all along the route which is mostly a closed elevated highway, well lit, drinks stations every 2k and marshalled all along. It's a really great race to do, quite surreal running along the elevated highway, totally quiet, with a cool breeze blowing - flat too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Simon for your feedback. I shall list it as next year to do. Was debating between Bangkok and Singapore but register for the later. Singapore (this weekend) will be my first full marathon after 15 years of laying off running. Have been training for the past year and hope it'll work out. Your recent report on Shilpa's first marathon and success came timely as an inspiration. Keep it up the both of you.

Simon said...

Hey Cheong, Good luck this weekend. Let us know how you get on. I've also done the Singapore marathon (a couple of times). It's flat as a pancake but damn damn hot - much hotter than Bangkok - I got my personal, best there but had to stay another day in bed at the hotel because I was so dehydrated and wiped out. One of these days I'm going to do a temperate climate marathon. I'll be doing the Phuket Tri this weekend. Cheers, Simon

Anonymous said...

All the best to you & your friends at TTH for another PB at Phuket Tri Look forward to your post as I am slowly migrating to Triathlon. Thanks for the tip on the temp (yup starting at 5:30am dont help) - Will give extra attention to hydration.