Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Week That Was - (IM - 6 weeks to go)

Again another mega week planned but a chest cold comes to thwart things a little. I seem to have survived and gotten away with a fast 30k last Sunday so fingers crossed all is on track. I have lost another KG so that's still going to plan.

Monday I managed a decent 3k swim in the morning and my usual 50k on the turbo - Monday Night Laughs on the TV so that helps get through it.

Tuesday Swim was a reluctant one, not as high quality as last week but 3.5k and a couple of minutes quicker (probably just less faffing around). At lunchtime I missed my usual spin class, core work and stretching as Shilpa had an exam and I had to collect the boys from school - sorry to have missed the class but picking the boys up is a rare luxury and had me beaming with pride all the way there and back. As I've broken Shilpa's treadmill (see last week) and it hasn't been repaired yet I'm reverting to the treadmill in the gym. All went well, in fact I was hitting a runners high and chuckling to myself about last years foot injury went a shot of excruciating pain went through my left foot - that'll teach me - I backed off a bit and still finished the session with over half a K extra in the same time as last week.

Wednesday 80k ride before work, not as sprightly as last week, hardly slept as Sid and Seb in bed with us, Sid cracked his head badly on the edge of the door and Seb had a terrible cough all night. Even so only a minute and a half slower than last week. Run was tougher and less energized too but still managed 12.5k and only 5 seconds slower than last week - bizarre, I must be getting fitter and lighter.

Wednesday night was the tri swim squad coached session at Bukit Jalil Stadium - I'm coming down with a sore throat and cold - also exhausted - I'm going home to bed instead.

Thursday decided to bail on morning swim too, real feeling run down. Will try to get back into it tonight for the run. (Later - nah it didn't happen).

Friday Ditto, nothing today - looks like the long ride tomorrow will see me back on track or in bed for a week.

Saturday 197k Broga loop was planned, it turned out to be a shortened 148k boiling hot, faffing ride, loads of punctures (I got three), waiting around etc... but wholly enjoyable. Still feeling rough so cutting it short was also sensible - didn't run afterwards either - boiling hot, dehydrated, raging headache and chest cold still rampant. Some would say smart but I still feel a bit like an excuse merchant.

Sunday Sam needed to start early as he was heading to PD for CNY. 6am kick off. Legs felt heavy, speed not great but still reasonable, survived there and back 21k.

I've dropped another Kg. Calf/Achilles is still niggling but getting better. This week did turn out to be low on volume i.e. easy week but periodisation training plan says that's what I should be doing. Need to pick it up a notch again next week although cold still a major worry.

5 more weeks to go and 3 weeks of misery before the taper starts.

No comments: