Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bala Middle Distance Triathlon - Chris Wayman

Chris Wayman did the Bala Middle Distance Triathlon on Sunday (Swim 2k, Bike 81K, Run 20K). He will be racing the Alpe d'Huez Longcourse triathlon with Sam and I at the end of July too.

Chris writes: -


"Simon

A stunning, but challenging course, in the Bala lake and the surrounding mountains of North Wales. Would really recommend that if you are ever over in UK at time of year….this is a race to do. I was last there 15 years ago, sailing at Easter with Uni mates and remember it being cold, wet and windy.

Surprise…weekend was perfect racing conditions - hot (23oC), sunny and a gentle breeze (although for you it was probably "blowing olde boots"). As I went up on my own I camped by the lake about a mile from the start and the village - site was a mixture of triathletes and drinking-overweight Northern folk….so a strange mix. Was funny seeing all those grumpy/hung-over faces as the tri-camp packed up in the early morning sun in order to get to the start, their beauty sleep had been disrupted!

Race morning, my cold had subsided considerably which was good, and best of all I was ready for a leisurely start 9:40am. Quite a sight, 600 bikes racked on the edge of the lake, possible the most scenic transion in the world (amazing seeing that day there where 1500 racing at Windsor Tri and 500+ at HIUK too). The prize money, and the status as GB Age Group Long Course Championships had pulled in some very fast folk…see times of leaders…..sub 4!

Swim was a straight out and back down the lake, it was pretty chilly 15oC and I was in wave 2…male vets!! (surely I'm not that old)…..the breeze had blown up quite a chop and on the way out I managed to get 3 or 4 decent lungfuls before I picked up a good pack, found some feet before exiting the water straight into transition.

Onto the bike, I was deaf thanks to water in my ears and my cold, and the first 11 miles we up - we climbed (8%) for 3 miles till we reached a reservoir, then it undulated (5%up/5%down) for 7-8miles but still generally up (5% up average), and then over the pass before a very fast decent into Trwnsfynydd (10%)…onto the main road and a steady fast 4-5% descent for 6miles…was great was you got to see the leaders coming back up…and it then dawned on me that at the turnaround that this was going to be a big old grind back to Trwnsfynydd….and at the end of that slog there was a mile plus of 10% up….it was hard going but felt like I was going well...over the pass again, before the undulating section, and boy another quick descent back into Bala. Managed to overtake a car/caravan…Sunday drivers! My average speed was 18mph (20mph based on the chip…but don't believe that) with a max of 49mph (and I kept my eyes open, and used the tri-bars)! Also made the right call re gearing having used a 12-23 although a couple of times I wished I could have sat and spun on the steeper climbs…but hey getting out of the saddle get the blood going..and allows you to stretch. Lost quite a few places on the bike but this was to my advantage as I found out when I got on the run…they were "bonking" left right and centre.

Back into the lovely grassed transition, and onto the run…first mile was off-road till we reached the sailing club and then what I can only call the toughest tri-run I've ever done….the profile showed a steady climb to the turnaround….should have learn from the bike that the average tells you nothing….it was steep up, and down, gentle ascent, steep down and then miles 4-6 we up big time…..never been so pleased to see the turnaround (a fluffy red dragon in middle of road)! Was running passed 10+ folk a mile, which made me feel good, despite by now everything was hurting. Don't really remember much else apart from telling myself….gels….drink….stride out….and then saw the other Deal tri bod on the way up as I pounded down towards finish (more a reflection of my heavy footedness than speed!!) …and then all was forgotten with the noise and encouragement of hundreds of supporters as you came into the finish….well chuffed with my time

Swim - 36:30; Bike - 2:47:49 & Run - 1:40:29 = Total 5:08:09

Have realised a number of things from this race…...the importance of pacing the bike for Alpe d'Huez, it's as important to work down the hills as up…and in fact spinning up is the preferred option esp if there's a hard run afterwards (so it's 12-27 for me!). Onl and finally…...that course average profiles tell you f'k all!!

A truly enjoyable race, really well organised, and possibly the prettiest/most scenic I have ever done (See pickies)

Chris"

No comments: