Monday, June 01, 2009

Brownlee clinches maiden victory

(Coutesy of the Telegraph)

Britain's Alistair Brownlee launched his International Triathlon Union World Championship Series campaign in style with victory in Madrid on Sunday.

Brownlee took the gold in 1hr 51min 27sec with Courtney Atkinson (1:52.14) second and Javier Gomez third.

Brownlee, 21, was well placed after the swim and cycle and then blew the field away in the run to claim his first ITU series win.

"It was the perfect race for me really," said Brownlee.

"Everything seemed to go right from the start, I couldn't believe it. I had a fantastic swim next to Ivan Vasiliev and he just took me from there," added Brownlee, who won the junior championships in 2006 and world under-23 title in 2008.

"The first two bike laps were really hard as we settled into a good group and someone said we had a 45-second lead and I thought 'where did that come from?' Then, when it was 1:30, I couldn't believe it.

"I went off on the run and I thought, 'right, I'm going to make this hard after the tough bike' and before I knew it I had 30 seconds. I thought I was going to blow up on that last lap, but it was great to hold on."

No comments: