Friday, August 31, 2007

KL to JB - The Long Ride! - 3:20 a.m.

I had toyed with joining this epic inaugural ride from KL to JB although "Her indoors" put paid to that with an emphatic "No you're NOT". However, it was even clear to me it wasn't going to happen once my recuperation was slower than I'd expected.

Never mind I did the next best thing. This morning at 3:20am I was riding my bike down an almost deserted highway to the meeting point of the riders at the Kajang-Cheras toll.

It was a great atmosphere with two squads of riders, the Chin Woo gang and the Le Tua boys. Both squads had their own matching bike jerseys and they looked great.

As you can see I took my mini camera along and took some photos.

Soon after 4:00am they were off. I planned to ride 40k with them and then head home after the first checkpoint. An 80k ride for me was sensible under the circumstances and anyway, no doubt I'll be persuaded to do this ride another year.









I hope some daft cyclist doesn't suggest the ride is extended and ridden from Thailand to Singapore in future years though - although that's an idea! Mmmmmm!
















I must say things looked extremely well organised and great credit goes to Uncle Don for creating and organising this race.

Also to Shen who I believe took care of organising the sponsorship and the logistics. There were so many other people running around and helping out though so I am no doubt underplaying many other contributions but this is a big shout out to you all - great job, well done.








The ride itself was along the old North-South road. A single lane road with almost no street lighting bar the occasional Kampung. The pace they set off at seemed suicidal, or maybe my own fitness was more effected than I'd thought. Either way I was pleased that I was only doing the "Sprint Distance" today.














I did my u-turn at the first water station and then for the first time wondered what I was doing at five something in the morning, riding by myself, in the middle of nowhere, in the pitch black.

As it happened the ride home was thankfully uneventful and very enjoyable. Sam had promised to text me at the various stops along the way to give me an update on how they were proceeding. I did predict though that 50k the other side of Malacca they'd be remembering me telling them that they were going to fast at the start of such a long ride. It was going to be a long day but I'm off to bed now so we'll see later...

No comments: