Monday, August 27, 2007

Subang Jaya 10K

I've started running again - very very slowly. I did a 4.4k on Wednesday, a 6.25K on Friday and then the Subang Jaya 10K on Sunday. All over 6 minute K's as I have to be super careful after my recent bout of pneumonia.

Soon after the start Shen saw me and ran over to have a chat. She was running with her husband who I don't think I've met before but he seems like a really nice chap. We ran together for 6 or 7k until she stopped to chat with a friend that seemed to be struggling a bit.

Normally when I run a race slowly as a training run or active recovery of some sort, I sprint the last couple of K in sub 4 minute K's - I just can't help myself. But this recovery is far more serious and the doctor has not strictly given me permission to run yet, so I forced myself to keep the same old gentle pace throughout.

It's funny because even amongst the slower competitors there's still a real competition going on, I found myself thinking "I'm not going to let that guy in the flash Nike gear and the iPod beat me whatever happens" and it's clear that everyone around me was having their own little battles, either with fellow competitors or just against the distance or the hill that we were running up or to squeeze out a personal best. You don't need to be at the front to enjoy a race, or to compete, or to win or lose, you just need to define the goal and go for it.

As it happens I did beat the guy in the flash Nike gear but I also did not push myself so both goals were achieved. I think it helped somewhat that the chap in question had no idea he was being stalked by me and he was far too busy looking cool.

My buddy John turned up at the finish to see his wife Emma get a personal best of 48 minutes (good one Emma). We were all stunned to see him there although he does only live 2 minutes away - mind you he did drive.















I met him later for a round of golf and he said he's never seen me looking like that after a race - I was just about to explain that I was looking so fresh because I'd taken it easy and smelt the flowers along the way when he said "You were looking exhausted - awful in fact" - Thanks John, that made me feel so much better.

3 comments:

K A said...

it's great to see people of all walks and ages participating in the run ... yes you had it spot on talking about the individuals racing having their own personal battles/races. at one point i was running and stopping midway when another girl of about the same age as me caught up on the halfway mark ... looked and smiled at me coyly and said "Doing great huh?" i answered ... "you're the one doing great" ... thinking to myself i shouldn't lose to her .. i re-focused and sped away. too bad I did not know how she finished though. Would've at least asked for her number.

Unknown said...

Hey. Was I the fatty in a white top, Ipod and Nike gear? Hahaha! Without the race number even. (it was a mix up at the start- i didn't intent to poach that run. Honest.)

Looking cool was the least of my concerns. Keeping up with Azmar was.

You live in country heights too, don't you? I think I saw you cycling up Jalan Senyum Matahari with one of your kids hanging off your back.

Laifer

Simon said...

Hey Laifer, no I'm sure it wasn't you, they had a number for sure! I've no doubt you looked cool anyway.

I haven't taken the kids cycling yet so I guess it was someone else. Thinking about getting a mountain bike with a kids seat sometime soon.

Give me a shout next time you see me out and about.