Thursday, June 12, 2008

SAAB City Duathlon 08 - June 8th Singapore

I entered this race late and after the closing date. I wrote an email asking if they could make an exception. I also added that I'd already helped promote the event on this blog and would be happy to do a follow up if they allowed me to enter.

They kindly did allow me to enter but the race turned out to be a bit of a disaster and I found myself trying to work out what to write. I had committed to promoting the event but it would have been difficult to write very much positive about it with any honesty.

The problem seems to have been mainly caused by poorly briefed and less than alert marshalls. Basically the lead bikes missed a left turn due to poor signage, poor road cordoning and poor direction from marshalls. This led to everyone following a shorter course.

OK a major screw up but in the organisers defence they had the foresight to stick with it rather than sending half the competitors the right way and disqualifying the other half. What they failed to do however was to convey this message loudly and frequently to any of the riders. "Shortened course, still 5 laps" should have been called at the top of their voices, this would have worked a treat had they shouted that at both the turn-a-rounds.

Now how could a race organiser redeem themselves after such a cock-up? Well in my mind they have gone a long way to doing so, on the same day they issued a statement acknowledging problems with a promise to review what went wrong and a promise to follow up - click here.

The very next day they did just that. They wrote a detailed explanation of what went wrong, accepted responsibility, outlined what their plans were for the future and offered a humble and unequivocal apology - click here.

Now when did you ever get such a open, honest and speedy response as that to a race that went very wrong? NEVER in my experience. I vowed never to waste my time going back to this race but I may reconsider in the light of their timely and candid apology.

There were a couple of other gripes I had about the race though: -

1. The first wave of the men's open category were made to run past the 5km turnaround on the first 10k run, past the finish line and through the muddy bog that was the transition and then back out on to the race course. Not only was the 5k loop a little long anyway but they made us run an additional 500+ meters through mud - nice one!
2. As above, the transition was a muddy bog, it wasn't their fault that it rained but it's the tropics for goodness sake, it rains!!!!!
3. The first two age categories in the men and women's race won Tissot Watches, the other categories won a cuddly toy - either just have the decent prizes for the actual open winners OR decedent prizes for all category winners - don't discriminate.
4. The entry fee of S$85 was not reflective of the race (mistakes aside), for that sort of money there should have been a lot more laid on for the athletes not to mention a decent goody bag - or just reduce the price. Very few athletes came from Malaysia partly due to the high cost of the entry fee (maybe not huge by Western standards but the largest group of potential competitors is from Malaysia and when you can enter a duathlon or Triathlon in Malaysia for one third of this cost, get a decent goody bag, a carbo loading dinner and cash prizes down to 10th place in every category you realise just how much more can be done).
5. OK, this is clearly a money making event but if you're going to be stingy with the prizes then at least present the top three in each category with a half decent trophy instead of a cheap plastic flower vase - they should be embarrassed.

As for my race. Sam and I seriously got on the lash in the Executive Lounge at the hotel the night before - we were quaffing champagne like a couple of Hooray Henry's. This was followed by dinner and more beer.

I awoke at three in the morning with a seriously bloated and acidic stomach - oh dear, I spent the rest of the night trying to get my metabolism working again.

I started the 10k wondering what state I'd be in and sure enough I didn't feel great. I was actually better than I deserved to be though. I tried to go at about 97% but not redlining it. I tucked in behind a guy that was running well but at around 6k I was getting all sorts of negative thoughts like "let's stop". Somehow I kept going and actually reeled in some of the guys ahead of me.

Transition was a disaster and probably rather comical had you watched me try to put on my new aero-helmet. On the bike itself, the course was screwed up and the distance halved which meant that there were twice as many bikes than expected on a tiny road. Over 50% were wobbling around on mountain bikes at about 10-15kph while I was trying to whizz round at 40+kph. Very quickly I realised that I wasn't going to achieve much so I settled in a few bike lengths behind one of the guys I finished the run with and let him clear the way for me. Recovery was now my plan and a fast second run.

Onto the run (just 5k) and I soon settled into a pretty reasonable pace. I left everyone that was chasing me and was soon on my own. I was on my own the whole time and barely managed to find my way around the course as the marshalls had on the whole disappeared and the signage was almost nonexistent.

Eventually I cruised over the finish line in second place which I was delighted with considering I hadn't trained for it and the excesses the night before.











As for the others in the Malaysian contingent: -
Sam won his age-group by a mile
Julie won her age-group - her first ever race (what her for the future and goodness knows what we'll see when she gets to grips with the swimming)
Mariana missed the start by 5 minutes but still amazingly won her age-group - Awesome!



Kristof (honorary Malaysian contingent as he lives in Vietnam now) won his age-group and was second overall.











All in all a great weekend only marginally spoilt by the race. After the race I took my disintegrating bike bake to Treknology for it to return to Trek USA under the lifetime warranty (for the third time). Watch this space.

No comments: