Thursday, June 05, 2008

Tey Conquers the Sundown UltraMarathon 84k

Tey our intrepid sports photographer completed the Singapore Sundowner Ultramarathon on Sunday. Upon congratulating him I received a rather humble but undeservedly downbeat reply from Tey. Having down some pretty extreme and miserable events myself I've long since stopped beating myself up over the disappointments and the lows of extreme sports - Tey you are a hero and when you consider you only did one 30k run and a few 20k's in training (I think he read my book on training preparation) then your accomplishment is even more praiseworthy.

See below how the text went, I'm sure you'll all agree with me so drop Tey a note or add a comment (and to anyone else you know that did the race and give them a bit verbal pat on the back).

Simon: - "Tey, you did it, well done mate, awesome job."

Tey: - "haha...as in my report...I not a actual runner lah...didn't felt proud or happy for myself..aiiiiii..suffer stress on mental although walk almost 70%..tks bro !!!!"

Simon: - "You finished and that's the real measure - if I beat myself up after every Ironman that I had to walk in I'd have stopped after the first year. I've only run the whole way in a couple of them - it's about overcoming the mental demons (including dealing with the fact that you're body only allows you to walk), it's about the pain, physical and mental. It's not about the finisher's medal and it's certainly not about whether you did it in style or not, the fact that you finished is huge but the fact that you had the courage to start in the first place sets you out from the crowd, then overcoming pain and adversity makes you a true champion - well done buddy, be proud, you deserve it."

2 comments:

bola2api said...

well done Tey! So proud of you man!

Keipo said...

Wah..Bro ,so paiseh(shy) lah..haha..!!

Tks to bola2api too...cheers !