Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Oo Err! - Ironman Western Australia Looms!

The stark realisation that there is an Ironman approaching on the none too distant horizon is starting to hit home!

I'm overweight, under trained, not very motivated and that blessed countdown clock on the left of the screen keeps ticking away without any apparent consideration for my current fitness crisis - "60 Days, 12 Hours, 38 Minutes, 19 Seconds". (At approximate time of posting).

For some reason this reminds me of a classic line from the Blues Brothers: -
"It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it."

Does this make sense to anyone else? Because strangely enough, it gives me all the confidence I need. I guess I respond best when faced with adversity and a bit of a challenge - goodness only knows how much better I might be with a bit of consistency though. Oh well if this is my destiny!

Anyway, this is the 6th week since I was cleared of the living hell called "The Enforced Rest" after my bout of pneumonia. The doc said build up over six weeks. Next week Ironman training starts proper!

5k swimming sessions and a few 4k time trials (yawn - boredom or what!)
200k rides (yes I know you've been doing loads of them already Sam)
and 40-50k runs (yes I know that the books tell you not to go so long but it works for me).

Just got to watch out for signs of over training and a small matter of pneumonia returning.

So here we go - it's official - I'm in Ironman training mode.

(I've even attached the most positive race picture I could find of myself to help spur me on).

No comments: