Monday, April 28, 2008

Power Run 10km - 27 April 2008

Yesterday was one of the few times I allowed myself to "compete" in a running race. I usually use them as motivating training runs rather than races. There are only so many races you can do throughout the year well, so I limit myself to pushing in Olympic Distance Tris as these are probably my forte (certainly my passion at least).

However, I have been struggling really badly with motivation recently and with A'Formosa Sprint and Olympic distance Tris just two weeks away I decided that it was time to kick start the season and at least do a time trial and see where I am speed wise.

I normally say that the thing I love about 10-21k races is that as soon as it starts to really hurt the race is over (unlike marathons). However, the statement yesterday would have been something like this "What I really love about 10k races is that as soon as it starts to hurt there's only 9.5km left!!!!". Check out the picture and you'll see what I mean.


In short my leg turnover was pretty good but I went anaerobic very early on and the hills really took it out of my legs and lungs. Going along one particularly long hill I was in the classic head down, shoulders hunched format - not fast. I kept it together though and finished in 44:36 and in 7th place. The time was OK considering the course is long by about half a K also I rode 144k the day before (and crashed quite badly - photos to come).

Having run several sub 40 minute 10ks before it's clear that things are not great but it's early in the season and there's time to improve. Probably a bit late for A'Formosa though but we'll see - the important races come in a few months.

A final couple of points about the race: -

  • What on earth do the organisers think they are doing having a 10k race without at least one drink station - not only is this inconsiderate it is downright dangerous considering the heat and some of the less fit competitors.

  • I'd like to make a big shout out to the guy that was struggling to stand up at the finish line next to me (Navin). He was a tall muscular guy and had given the race his all - I thought I'd given it everything but he put me to shame with his commitment - WELL DONE buddy, you've inspired me to push harder next time.
  • 3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Simon,
    Glad to have met you personally the other day though I must admit I was so delirious at the finish that you might have heard a lot of gibberish than proper dialogue from me..haha and thanks for the mention here but unfortunately my commitment was taken a bit too far as I suffered from some bad dehydration. My wife had to get my butt to the hospital to get me IV-ed and tested...but thankfully there were no serious effects & am fine now.Couldn't say it the other day so I'll say it now, enjoy reading yr blog cause of how you juggle work, family and tri at such a high level, already speaks much about what commitment is about. All the best with the upcoming races and do keep this place alive.Cheers-Navin

    Simon said...

    Hey Navin, doesn't surprise me about the dehydration, it was pretty irresponsible of the organisers to run a race without water stops. Looking forward to seeing you around again soon.

    Cheers

    Simon

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Simon
    Did not get to see you during the power run. I guess you're way too fast.
    And i do agree that they should have at least one drink station. I thought that i was going to faint of dehydration...
    Anyway, well done. :)

    -PK