Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Now look what stupid thing I've done






Yes, you've guessed it I've entered Xterra!!! Agggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

However, the swim I understand and the run although I'm sure it will be a tough off-roader my biggest issue is the Mountain Bike - I have actually ridden a Mountain Bike - ONCE. Actually it's a very very very very heeeeaaaavvvyyy mountain bike that I bought for Shilpa to get her out and about. It's so heavy it leaves indentation marks on the tarmac.

I'm strangely quite excited about it - I haven't really been motivated since Ironman and Lake Kenyir was a personal wash out so at the very least this should be different and huge fun.

It'll give the off-roaders a chance to snigger at my bike and me struggling around the course so whatever happens someone will have a laugh.

Now then, this bit is serious, can someone who knows how to mountain bike please volunteer to show me how to do it? Pleeeaaasssee.

My one and only ride was at Frim and I fell off twice and then struggled to get going again - stand up on the pedals and the back wheel spins = fall off. Sit on the saddle and the front wheel comes of the ground = fall off. WTF Heeeeellllppppp.

4 comments:

heckler said...

hi simon,
it's alright, all new mtr will sure experiance the rear wheel spin and the little willy. For a start while going up hill, get down a push :)

just kidding, you may try moving your entire body forward like in aero position. it works for me.

good luck

Cheong said...

I am sure someone will come to your aid. However, in the event there are none, then, you may wish to try PCC (Pedalholics Cycling Club - AKA Perfect Cycling Companion)

They organise both mountain bike (mud & dirt) and road bike (tar & grime) rides weekly. The dates & ride leader contact can be found on their weekly newsletter downloadable from
http://pcc-cycling.freeservers.com/

I have NOT join PCC for mountain bike rides - only the road bike rides and they have been friendly in showing me some essentials when riding in a group & would wait & regroup the slower riders like myself. Thus, I am only "assuming" that you could also get some mountain bike riding tips / essentials by joining their weekly mountain bike rides.

Hope this helps.

Simon said...

Thanks Heckler I can relate to that although when it gets really step I run out of gears and have to stand - let's hope it's not that steep in Kuantan.

Simon said...

Thanks Cheong, I actually get all the PCC updates but haven't ridden with them and as I mentioned I have only ridden a mountain bike once and now time is running out. Nevermind, I guess the not n\knowing will be half of the fun.