Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Personal ID - a MUST for triathletes & cyclists

Recently Mohan sent me an article on IDBand which is very much along the lines of RoadID which I use. Rather than promoting either product in particular I'd just like to put my 10 cents worth out there.










I ride with a Road ID, basically it's a wrist strap with a lightweight ID tag attached that has my personal details laser etched onto it. Having visited the inside of a van via its windscreen (see Alive and Kicking) I decided that this would be a sensible purchase - fortunately I was conscious throughout but I was incredibly lucky. Not only can it give vital information like blood type, allergies but also the contact details of your loved ones.










A buddy saw me wearing it and remarked that I'd bought myself an early Christmas present, I replied that in fact it was a gift for my family. I'm sure my wife would prefer if I didn't ride at all but she's certainly a lot more at ease when she knows that should anything happen she will be contacted without delay.

I am very passionate that no one should ride without lights or a helmet but once these essentials are purchased I'd strongly advise you purchase some sort of ID band and use it on every ride; if not only for your own well being but for the peace of mind of your loved ones.

RoadID costs US$19.99 (Click on name for link to web site)
IDBand costs SGD18.00 (Click on name for link to web site)

Of course you can simply carry a card with your details together with your phone and cash - perhaps we should do that as well!!!

Ride safe, ride hard

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After being mown down in Putrajaya, we always wear the RoadID now when out running/riding. The company is very efficient in posting to KL from the US, only took 7 days! It is as important as a helmet I think!

Unknown said...

I always carry an ID card with emergency contact nos. and blood type. It is a self made credit card size with lamination protecting the details. I think I should order the RoadID for my next ride...two months away