Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The race that wasn't (for me at least)

I thought I'd better say something about Sunday's race before I was accused of sour grapes. Yes I am spitting bricks about it but not at anyone other than myself. There was a great turnout again of over 50+ riders.

Nick suggested that there would be two divisions one for the faster riders and one for the slower riders. Unfortunately no one wanted to admit they were in the slower pack so we all started together.


(CLICK PHOTO TO ENLARGE)


On this note I'll make an observation if I may: - For this race series to survive THERE MUST BE TWO OR EVEN THREE DIVISIONS. If not the guys that get dropped simply aren't going to keep coming just to ride around by themselves. No doubt they'll stay away until they "get better" but without organised races they won't get better and we'll never see them again.

No one wants to admit that they are in the slower group but if there is Div 1, Div 2 and perhaps even Div 3 then there is no shame, just a fun race series that you have a chance of winning and then getting promoted to the next division up.

So my advice to Nick is to insist that there are two divisions at least - easily said of course because without volunteers to record names and organise the rankings this cannot happen and needless to say it shouldn't fall entirely on Nick to organise.


So back to the race (that wasn't - for me at least). I actually had a reasonably early night, a couple of beers but no hangover and despite the fact that I ran the day before I was feeling in good shape.

The first lap was a neutral lap and then soon after the race started proper the attacks started. I felt that I covered any dangerous attacks but didn't really expect anything significant to happen until lap four (1 additional lap from the previous week). That's where I was wrong, Wong At Thiam attacked and a few went out and reeled him in, phew I thought lucky they didn't get away. Then Wong At Thiam attacked again, blimey what a waste of energy I thought and that was the end of the race for me!!!! The sorrowful look of realisation on my face must have been something to behold!

What an idiot I was - the guys that went with him were all top notch racers but in the chasing group there were Simon Lim, Gary, Terry, Tony Harvey and Daniel. What I didn't know was that Simon and Gary were blocking for the three P2K team members in the breakaway and Terry also was with another team with someone in the breakaway - I assume Daniel had some vested interest too as he tootled along with these other guys ensuring that the breakaway pulled into the distance.

Great credit to Tony, he was the only one that really tried anything, I had a couple of dabbles but nothing significant - I remarked to Tony how grim it was playing follow my leader for two laps just to get to the end of the race. VERY DEPRESSING - I hated it, not really, but I hated myself for missing the break. Oh well ay, a lesson learned.

Looks like I might have to invite myself into a team or try to create one if the team tactics continue otherwise there's going to be too many similarly sole destroying races.

Despite the photo and my own failure I still loved every minute of it. Nick has delivered a fabulous gift to anyone that wants to have a bash at bike racing. Can't wait to the next race on the 17th May which will be on a new course. Check out Nicks site at http://sites.google.com/site/klcycleracing/Home and see what he had to say about Sunday's race click here. A slight correction though Nick, there were over 50 riders not 40, you've got to remember I had time to count them as I tootled around in the "chasing/following" pack.

1 comment:

tryathlete said...

i did raise my hand when nick asked if anyone wanted to be in the B category, but no one else did so i guess there was no point having one. and even though i got dropped just before the first turnaround, i did have fun and will definitely be back for more.